Tags: allergic, allergies, arm, asthma, body, cat, drugs, dye, health, iodine, medications, reaction, scan

allergic reaction to cat scan dye

On Health & Drugs & Medications » Allergies & Asthma

5,260 words with 10 Comments; publish: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:55:00 GMT; (90093.99, « »)

I had a cat scan last Tuesday and when they put the iv into my arm and the dye and/or iodine went through my body I had a reaction. Soon after I had a horrible headache and felt dizzy. The next day my face was swollen and I was in a lot of pain. I called the radiology center and she said it was just a reaction and it was no big deal. I went to my doctor and he said my headache would go away. It's Saturday and I still have an awful pounding headache at the top of my head. Is this a usual allergic reaction, and what medication should I take to make the headache go away?

Oh yeah, the swelling in my face has went away, and my doctor explained to me that when you have an allergic reaction your blood vessels swell so that is why I'm having the headache. What can I do to help?

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 10 Comments
    • if it was me i would just take tylenol and a cold cloth. is it severe or just there? i have the dye done tomorrow. I start drinking the yummy barium in a little while...lol Good luck!
      #1; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:42:00 GMT
    • It's pretty severe. I've tried tylenol and ibprofen but nothing has helped.
      #2; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:43:00 GMT
    • why did the reaction take so long to show up? I thought it was immediate. Or was the headache immediate or no? I am just curious because I am going to get done this afternoon and now i am nervous even though I know the odds are that i will be fine!
      #3; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:43:00 GMT
    • Was the CT for an actual head problem or on something else?i would at the very least call the doc and tell him the headache is still there.a sudden dialation of the blood vessels in the head usually will bring on a pretty instantaneous type of bad headache.I get one every time i have an angio gram done for my aneyryms in my brain,they shoot that last 3 D shot and along with it shoot the dye way back into the brain.I get an instant migrane,but honestly,with even THAT level of a headache,I am totally fine the next day,really.yours,if what your doc ststaed was actually true,should have been gone by now.try drinking a cup of caffineted coffee or pop .like a mt dew with alot of caffiene in it,this would help constrict the arteries back down to size .if this does not work,call your doc for an appt.something else would most definitely be going on.this just should not be lasting this long from any sort of allergic reaction.

again,just what was the CT done for?hope you feel better soon.but if not,make that appt,if nothing else he can maybe write you an Rx for something til this works itself out.have you noticed any other symptoms since this happened?anything at all that is different somehow than before that CT was done?please keep us posted,take care and try using some cold packs on the back of your neck and the forehead,this helps with my migranes alot.marcia

#4; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:44:00 GMT
    • maybe take a benadryl
      #5; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:45:00 GMT
    • i also was thinking something else is going on and it is coincidental. This has been wayyy too long for an allergic reaction, i would think. take care
      #6; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:47:00 GMT
    • i have mine this afternoon ...i guess we will see what happens...say a prayer for me! thanks
      #7; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:49:00 GMT

Thanks. My headache has improved some. I guess it'll get better day by day. My cat scan was done because I have sinus headaches a lot so they looked at my head and my sinuses. I felt horrible as soon as the dye was put into my body. I've had two cat scans before, one in 2001 and one in 2003 and I was fine so I guess my body chemistry has changed since then. My cheeks swelled up and I broke out and I had throbbing pain from the cat scan this time. Hopefully the swelling of the blood vessels in my head will go down soon.

#8; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:50:00 GMT
    • Have you tried an antihistamine? I react to dyes in that way & the headache sometimes last 3 days. It takes a long time for it to get out of your blood stream. Drink a lot of fluids. Good luck!
      #9; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:51:00 GMT
    • I had cat-scans for years after a diagnosis of cancer. I had an allergic reaction to the dye and was given benadryl and steroids from then on out.
      #10; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:47:00 GMT